FabFilter, the Amsterdam based company founded by Frederik Slijkerman and Floris Klinkert, have a fantastic reputation among composers and producers for the high quality of their audio plugins. They have recently released a new version of their flagship compression plugin, Pro-C 2, giving it an overhaul of interface improvements and new features. In today’s video review, Eli Krantzberg takes a good look at what’s new and takes it for a good test drive. Below is FabFilter‘s overview of Pro-C 2, as per the product page:
“FabFilter Pro-C 2 is a high-quality compressor plug-in for the most demanding engineers. Whether you need subtle mastering compression, an upfront lead vocal, that magic drum glue, or deep EDM pumping: Pro-C 2 gets the job done with style!
Pro-C 2 offers eight different, program-dependent compression styles with beautiful sound and character. But there’s more! Apart from the classic compressor controls, you also get smooth lookahead, up to 4x oversampling, intelligent auto-gain and auto-release, a variable knee, hold, range, external side-chain triggering, variable stereo linking, and mid/side processing, all packed in a beautiful Retina user interface.
The fully redesigned interface in FabFilter Pro-C 2 offers insightful metering with real-time displays that will greatly improve workflow. The large animated level/knee display visualizes exactly when, why, and how compression is applied to incoming audio. Accurate level meters show the exact peak and loudness values, while the circular side-chain input meter turns finding the perfect threshold setting into a trivial task. And the large side-chain EQ controller makes it easier than ever to filter the trigger signal any way you like.
Of course, you also get all the usual FabFilter goodies: perfectly tuned knobs, interactive MIDI Learn, undo/redo and A/B switch, Smart Parameter Interpolation for smooth parameter transitions, an extensive help file with interactive help hints, sample-accurate automation, advanced optimization, and much more!
- Eight different compression styles, of which five are new in version 2: Vocal, Mastering, Bus, Punch and Pumping [NEW]
- Gorgeous Retina interface, with (optional) animated level knee displays and accurate peak/loudness metering [NEW]
- Side-chain EQ section, with customizable HP and LP filters, plus an additional freely adjustable filter [NEW]
- Program-dependent attack and release curves
- Smooth lookahead (up to 20 ms), which can be enabled/disabled to ensure zero latency processing [NEW]
- Intelligent Auto Gain
- Hold (up to 500 ms) [NEW]
- Custom knee, variable from hard knee to a 72 dB soft knee (to enable saturation-like effects) [NEW]
- Auto Release
- Super-fast attack times
- Up to 4x oversampling [NEW]
- Variable stereo linking and mid/side processing, with mid-only, side-only, M > S and S > M processing.
- Audition Triggering option, which enables users to hear on which parts of the audio Pro-C 2 is triggering and how much compression is taking place [NEW]
- Multiple interface sizes: Small, Medium and Large [NEW]
- Range setting, which limits the maximum applied gain change [NEW]
- Mix setting, which scales the gain change from 0% to 200% [NEW]
- Full Screen mode, offering a large level display and side-chain EQ controller [NEW]
- Accurate, large level and gain change meters, with peak and loudness level visualization. The loudness level complies with the Momentary mode of the EBU R128 / ITU-R 1770 standards [NEW]
- Retina support on OS X and High DPI support on Windows [NEW]
- External side chain triggering
- GPU-powered graphics acceleration
- Stereo and mono plug-ins available
- Optional MIDI triggering [NEW]
- Supports common Pro Tools hardware control surfaces
- MIDI Learn
- Undo/redo and A/B comparison
- Smart Parameter Interpolation
- Sample-accurate automation of all parameters
- Extensive help file with interactive help hints
- Available in VST, VST3, Audio Units, AAX Native, and AudioSuite formats (all both 64-bit and 32-bit), as well as RTAS (32-bit only)“
Watch Eli’s review below: