Scenes from the Multiverse – A Super Hero Jukebox?
Audio Imperia stands for epic, blockbuster trailer sound design. The producers and developers, Joshua Crispin aka Generdyn (who designed the sounds for this library), Histibe, Darin Leach, Paul Ortiz aka Chimp Spanner, and Jeremia Pena are well known. Joshua‘s work has been featured in a vast array of films, TV, advertisements, and artistic collaborations, such as Really Slow Motion Music placements, including the Ant-Man TV Spot trailer, the Terminator Genisys trailer, the Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer, the San Andreas trailer and the E3 trailer for SOMA.
Audio Imperia have already produced a respectable amount of libraries. SCENES FROM THE MULTIVERSE VOL. 1 – SUPER HERO CINEMATIC TOOL KIT (INCL. KONTAKT PATCHES) is the first of their libraries I have experienced. The library uses Jeremiah Pena’s open-source Photosynthesis engine. So let’s see what it has to offer.
First of all you, need the full version of KONTAKT to run this library. After purchasing, you are able to download your ZIP File and extract it into the folder of your choice – I don’t really miss an installer here. You will get 800+ MB of sound, and the library contains high definition 96kHz / 24bit .WAV files.
Every WAV file has a detailed description that comes in a Excel and PDF File – Very handy! The Read Me PDF is very lean, but I would still love to have some more information in it.
30 patches in one folder are waiting to be explored. The names are mostly well chosen and give you a good idea of what to expect.
A Superhero-looking fellow bangs his fist into the ground to serve you the right mood. Since the GUI is based on the Photosynthesis engine, the elements are sort of standard and don’t always make sense with every sound. In my opinion, less would be more in this case. The overall look is nice and clean.
The Photosynthesis Engine serves filters, 13 effects, and a rhythm section featuring a step sequencer, filter sequencer, 2 filter LFOs, and gain/pan/pitch LFOs. As I mentioned before, not all the sounds react usefully to the numerous possibilities, but that’s fine. Other libraries have the same approach, and you still have the power to decide what makes sense and what doesn’t. For my taste, there are too many knobs and dials. Again, less is more.
Of course, you can use Learn MIDI CC# everywhere and run wild with automation!
We have plenty of competitors on the market for “epic boom-bastic” sounds. So if you already have them all on your hard drive, you might not necessarily need one more. I do have to say, however, that there are some really excellent sounds packed into this library. So it’s worth having a close listen!
Check out this video:
You can listen to a variety of demos on SoundCloud as well:
And here are some short notes about the patches:
Low and distant sub-rumbles – a feast for your subwoofer.
A couple of nicely designed BRAAAM sounds.
Nothing spectacular, but it does what it says on the tin.
20 (!) drones patches. Some real gems, some where I think “got that already”, and a few that “sound different but it’s the same”. But overall, a very nice collection of drones.
Yes baby! That’s how hits should sound. Massive with subtle noise effects.
Nothing special. I heard tons of hits like this before. Could be used for punches as well.
Cool stuff, but I want more of it. Great to combine and create a soundbed in a couple of minutes. But you can’t use it too often.
Since you have many libraries that are specialized for this kind of sound, this is a sweet add-on, but not a “must-have”.
A couple of risers. No way to control the length or speed though – but that could be achieved within your DAW using the raw WAV files.
Some very artificial sounds.
The sounds don’t really require any tweaking to sound great – they already sound great out of the box. The interface gives you the freedom to tweak almost limitlessly, so you can create genuinely unique sounds yourself.
If you are a newbie to sound design, I believe you will love this library. You can almost create an entire soundtrack with it. If you’ve already got terabytes of sounds, however, you may be not too excited. That, however, doesn’t take away from the fact that Joshua Crispin aka Generdyn did an extremely good job here, and that some of the stuff included is pretty dope.
You’ll get 122 sounds for $59. My opinion is that 90% of the sounds are really, really good, and the other 10% are at least OK. So the $59 price tag is fair. If you haven’t already got the “usual suspects” in this area, this might be a perfect entry into the world of epic action sound design.